Wednesday, May 14, 2008

finally here

So, on Monday morning I awoke early to shower and arrive at Alexander Chevrolet in Dickson, TN right when they opened so that I could get fixed up right away and get back on the road. I drove my wobbly car about 15 miles from the hotel I was staying at to get to Dickson. When I arrived, the nice Southern man told me to drive my car right up and they would get me looked at right away. I took my laptop into the customer lounge and waited for about an hour. He came back and told me that I “did a real number on my car when I went off the road...” Apparently, my wheel was bent, my hub was bent, and I needed a new tire. Not only was gonna be expensive (about 500 dollars!), but they did not have any hubs in stock and would not have the part until the following morning at around 10:30. He advised that I get a hotel room and told me that I should be out of there by noon the following day.
So, I got a hotel room at the Motel 6 in Dickson. This hotel was half as expensive as the Best Western in Kingston Springs and the wireless internet was WAY faster. I immediately went back to sleep and did not wake back up until 1:30. After that I spent a lot of time browsing the web and I watched a movie, Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead. It was very good and I recommend it truly! I decided to then leave the room at about 4 and try to walk around and find something to eat. This area sucked. I walked around and crossed over the highway and I did not find anything appealing. This place was not made for pedestrians and was not easy to get around because there were no sidewalks! I finally settled and ate breakfast for dinner at Cracker Barrel. I then spent the rest of the evening watching another movie, Into the Wild. This movie was long and boring but still kind of good. I had read the book previously and I thought it was a good adaptation. Then I went to bed. What a boring and stupid, long day.
The next day, I checked out of the hotel and went to see how my car was doing at 10:45 am. They said the truck had not arrived and that when it did, my car would be ready very soon. So, I sat in the waiting room with some native Tennesseans and listened to some interesting conversations for about an hour. Then I asked if my car was almost done and he said yes. So, I waited another half hour to realize that at noon, everyone went on lunch with my car half-finished. Finally, it was done at 1:30, an hour and a half later than what they estimated. I jumped on the highway immediately. The remaining ten hours were long and boring, but the weather kept up nicely, which was good. When I was 45 minutes from my destination, a really bad storm started. There was tons of lightning and rain. The radio went silent and a weather warning came on and I was so scared that there was going to be tornados. I finally got here around 11:50 pm, and I met my roomie. Her name is Yeumee (sp?) and she is a vet intern from Australia. She will be here for the next 3 weeks. After that, she will be going to the Fort Worth Zoo and then I will get a new roommate for 6 more weeks.
I took some photos of my livings quarters, which can be found on my albums page. The goats in the photos are my next door neighbors. Now I need to go to the admin building to fill out some paperwork. See ya soon!

No comments: