So I have started work and it’s been pretty good. For work, I need to be up at around 7:15 to be at work around 8 am. On Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays I need to be at the animal care meetings up at the admin building. The meetings are usually around 15-20 minutes. After the meeting, we (Ashley and I) head up to the Children’s Animal Center. Our daily routine consists of preparing daily diets for all the animals, hosing down the barn and outdoor patio, and squeegeeing the hosed down portions. It all takes around 2 hours to complete. After all that stuff is done, we do random projects that need to be completed. For example, Saturday and Sunday we cleared out under the hay rack of the old hay (and poop and pee) that has collected since January. All the old hay (and poop and pee) had to be taken down to compost in our Mitsubishi vehicle (it took about 5 loads). It takes about ten minutes to get anywhere here. So, that was a major project in itself.
Tomorrow is my first day of being alone at the barn and being “in charge” of the area. I feel prepared though. There really isn’t much to the job once you learn everything. My favorite animals that I take care of are the wolves. My new pictures are in a new album that I have placed up on the site. Yesterday I went swimming in a river down at Dinosaur Valley State Park where they have real dinosaur prints preserved in the riverbed and tonight we made s’mores near the fire at the camps up near the overlook. Overall, I am having a good time. There really is not much to do here. The closest stores are ten minutes and those don’t have much. To get anything good you have to drive about 25 minutes. I sometimes get kind of bored in the evening but then I just watch a movie on my laptop.
This place is huge though! The scenic drive through the park is 9.5 miles long and takes about 2.5 hours. There are some staff shortcuts, but it takes pretty long to drive around inside there.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment