Thursday, June 12, 2008

it's been a while...

Well, it has been a month since a left home and I’ve already gotten into the full swing of things down here. The morning routine at work is already burned into my brain from doing it so many times already and the animals are starting to get used to me I think. For example, Nick the eclectus parrot, has started bonding with me and he will sit on my shoulder regurgitate his food to me. It’s gross but cute at the same time. I’ve also gotten relatively used to the heat here. It’s never below 90 degrees during the day.
Gas is so expensive. If it were less expensive I would be more apt to do exciting things on my days off. I would like to check out San Antonio, Austin, and Houston, but the gas is too much and I don’t share days off with anyone else, so I would have to go alone. Plus, after the drive here I don’t want to spend lots of time in the car until the drive home. I’ve already gone into Arlington to go to Six Flags Over Texas twice. There are some fun roller coasters there but it’s no CP! I want to go to Sea World, Schlitterbahn Water Park, and the Six Flags in San Antonio before the summer is over! I went into Fort Worth the other night for dinner to celebrate my boss’s birthday with the cheetah keeper and his wife. It was a fun time and I went to P.F. Chang’s for the first time. It was good but too expensive. They took Ashley, my boss, to get her makeup done at some store in the mall. So, I went to a candy store there and I started putting some candy in a bag. It ended up being 20 bucks! I had no idea I grabbed so much. That was a disappointment. So now I have tons of candy to last me the rest of the week. I can’t wait to get Type II Diabetes!!!! So the cheetah keeper’s wife loves going to amusement parks so they mentioned maybe going to Schlitterbahn and the other Six Flags sometime this summer. For those of you who don’t know, Schlitterbahn is always on the Travel Channel as the Best Water Park in the country! I can’t wait to go!
Today I went to the Black Rhino Barn for the first time. Now, before you say “Kyle I already saw you with a Rhino!”, realize that we have White and Black rhinos here. I already saw the White rhinos. The Black rhinos are so much cooler because they have a prehensile lip which allows them to grab things! It’s like a really smaller version of an elephant’s truck. They keep the Black rhinos in a section called the IMA, which stands for Intensive Management Area. Here they keep animals that are involved in intensive breeding programs. The public cannot access this area without being on a special tour. There are also Maned, Red, and Mexican Gray wolves in this area as well as coatis, cheetahs, and Attwater’s Prairie chicken.
I get really bored here sometimes because there is not much to do. I take full advantage of my netflix subscription. I am now caught up in LOST, WEEDS, and now I started watching the X-files, to get ready for the new movie in July! Speaking of movies, the new HULK movie comes out tomorrow! I wanted to go at midnight but the nearest theater is 25 minutes away and I wouldn't be home until SO LATE.
Soon, Yeumee will be back in Texas to work at the Fort Worth Zoo and I can’t wait to go visit her there. Hopefully she will be able to get me behind the scenes at the elephant exhibit because she will be doing research with them.
Oh my god, I cannot believe I totally forgot the most important and frightening update of all! I found a scorpion in my bedroom! It was small but still scary! I captured it and released it outside thank god!
The picture up top is my ocelot, by the way. And he was lookin’ to get some dead quail.

No comments: