Sunday, June 22, 2008

New Day, New Blog...


forth worth zoo22
Originally uploaded by kjchippy
No, we do not have tigers at Fossi Rim. That picture was taken at the Fort Worth Zoo. We went to the zoo on wednesday, because we never all get the same days off. So we took that opportunity and made the best of a terribly humid, terribly crowded summer day at the zoo.
The zoo exhibits were pretty nice. Some of them were so small that I could not believe and some of the animals were super fat as if they were being overfed or something. Overall, however, the zoo had a really nice feel to it. A lot of animals that I had never seen before as well were at this zoo like jaguars, Indian rhinos, and the great mythical looking ibex. I would definitely go back there if I had the chance.
Before the zoo, there a giraffe knockdown here at the park. A knockdown is basically what they call if when they need to dart an animal so that it is immobilized. They needed to trim the hooves of one of the female giraffes and in order to do this they needed to knock her down. It was really cool to see how all this worked. It was very carefully planned and many people had roles so that it went as quickly as possible. They only want the animals to be under for as least time as possible, because the longer the animals are under, the more things can go wrong. I posted some pictures of this event over at my Flickr photo site. There are pictures from the zoo as well. The knockdown pictures can be found with the fossil rim pictures.
I'm really having a good time down here. Despite the wretched heat, I am enjoying my time and learning a lot of things. I like going to work although the goats are constantly getting on my nerves. It is nice being up early all the time. I hate sleeping in and letting the day go by.
See ya later, I'm hungry!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Kyle,

I love your stories and glad to hear you are having fun while learning your future field. You know I would have freaked if I encountered a scorpion. Keep the good stuff comin'! Love you and miss you! Aunt Robin xxoo